Admiration is a feeling of great approval and respect.
Sometimes you’ll hear people jokingly refer to a “mutual admiration society.” This is typically said after there has been a round of reciprocal compliments in a conversation between two or more people. (If it’s a conversation between one person it’s not technically a mutual admiration society unless you consider all of the person’s personalities to be individual people.)
Consider the following conversation:
Anne: “You’re so smart.”
Adam: “Oh no, you’re so smart.”Anne: “And you’re wonderfully witty.”
Adam: “No, no, no. It’s you who is wonderfully witty.”
Anne: “What’s more, I can’t believe how devastatingly handsome you are.”
Adam: “That may be so, but you are gloriously gorgeous.”
Anne: “Well, we’ve got a real a mutual admiration society going here, haven’t we?”
Adam: “Yes it is, isn’t it? Let’s have sex.”
No, Anne and Adam, that’s not a mutual admiration society. That’s a mutual inane imbecile society. And you knew that at least one of them was going to get around to sex eventually, didn’t you?
- amount Amount (verb) is simply a high society way of saying “mount.” For example, someone from the crème de la crème of society might say, “I amounted my horse and went for my daily ride.”Damn. Isn’t it just like some snotty…
- alliteration An alliteration is any grouping of stations. Alliteration typically refers to train stations. For example, all of the consecutive stations on a train route might be called an alliteration. However, it can also refer to a group of any other…
- anchor Anchor, a verb, is the act of trying and succeeding to get a married king to get his current marriage annulled so he can and does marry you and then, as queen, trying (whether you fail or succeed) at not…
- ancestor An ancestor is someone who is having sex or has had sex with the body of a close, but dead (dead at the time that sexual intercourse occured) relative. Because it is highly unlikely that The Words Project will survive…
- amanuensis Amanuensis is the state of being a male dinosaur, but not literally. Basically, if you are suffering from amanuensis your views on women’s place in society have been in stasis for at least 150 years, which is quite a feat…