Home » A » af - ah » aftercare


If you are discharged from a hospital after being treated for an injury or disease, if you still need some care, that care is referred to as aftercare.

If you need this sort of aftercare and it’s not covered by your health insurance—or you don’t have health insurance—and you’re not rich, you’re probably going to go bankrupt or do without the aftercare—or do without aftercare and still go bankrupt because you aren’t well enough to work and the period of your disability is lengthened by not being able to get aftercare.

Feel free to beat each other up over the healthcare debate in the comments below.

There is another type of aftercare. This one involves children.

In a single parent family where the parent works, or in a two parent family where both parents work, children may require care after the normal daycare, nursery school, kindergarten or possibly elementary school ends. That care is called aftercare.

If a student in middle school or high school needs to be watched over after school because his or her parents work, that care is generally not called aftercare. It’s usually called extracurricular activities. I suppose that’s to protect the self-esteem of the students. Aftercare is, after all, for the younger ones.

If you need aftercare for your kids and you are a single parent with a low-income job, or if you have a spouse but both of you have low-paying jobs, it might turn out to be uneconomical for both you and your spouse—or just you if you’re a single parent—to work because the difference between your (or your spouse’s) salary and the amount that you could get on welfare if you didn’t work is less than the cost of aftercare (plus the cost daycare if your child isn’t yet old enough for public school) unless subsidized aftercare is available where you live.

Feel free to beat each other up over the childcare debate in the comments below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *